Petals (Tabs)

Monday, January 6, 2014

Roller Skating Adventures 1 of 33

I did it!!  I went roller skating one time out of my 33 that my goal is based on!  I had a blast.  At first I was the only one there.  Then after a bit, a roller derby girl came in, we visited here and there, off and on.  She was pretty cool.  THEN!!  My former artistic/speed skating coach came in with his wife and his student.  It was nice catching up with them, getting updated on all the other "club" members and where they are now.  We talked a bit about club back in the day.  I was enlightened on one incident involving my mom and was utterly crushed. I think I would have rather spent the rest of my life not knowing that little detail - but when it comes to my mom, nothing should shock or hurt me anymore.  OK! Enough about that...so.... Adult Skating - it was so much fun.  They played the old school music which made me even more ecstatic.  They even played NKOTB and I DID NOT request them to do so.  GIDDY!!

My goal for that particular night was to skate non-stop for the 2 hour session.  That did not happen.  However, it was just like riding a bike and I still "GOT IT" - I fell once during the reverse skate - (skating clockwise around the rink) more on my fall later.  Let me tell you skating in the reverse direction uses a whole different set of muscles and total opposite body control.  My left side has been trained and conditioned to skate the crap out of a rink...my right side is not!  I can't explain it better than that, you just have to try it to see what I am talking about.  Nevertheless, I said it before and I will say it again, I HAD A BLAST!

Ok, my fall...so I was facing forward, skating clockwise, rounding a curve, as I rounded the curve I had picked up way to much speed and momentum that I just lost control of my skate and balance.  My skate was coming right out from under me and I had the quick decision to either fall frontwards on my knees (I am 33 years old by the way), OR fall backward on my cushion.  I chose the latter and before my toosh hit, I tried to catch myself with my hands.  Hello hands and wrists, meet wood rink...and then my bootie wants to kiss you!  OUCH!!!  My tailbone and spine took the shock right up to my neck and my right wrist...killed!  I got up and slowly skated off the rink to rest.  I was more embarrassed than in pain I think.  I texted my hubs, caught my breath, and headed back out.   I was just fine after that.  Until I looked at my right wrist.  About half hour after the fall, my palm bone was swollen and had this bump, and the bruising started.  I made the decision to be done for the night.  I didn't want to fall again.  Not that I would. ;)  There wasn't much of the session left anyway and I shut the rink down being last man standing.  Er, um, last woman skating I mean. 

Anyways, so my stats - I skated 5.09 miles, burning 1,069 calories.  Pleased as punch!  I am so glad that workout was so much fun.  Fun just like I remembered from way back when.  The next session is 2/2/14 from 8pm to 10pm.  Rollarena is locally owned and operated!  It would be awesome to have you join me next month.

PS: How do I feel today - the day after?  I feel amazing.  I am not the least bit sore (exception of the wrist which I am monitoring by the way). I cannot wait to go back next month.

Here are some fun pics for you.  (I did not have the guts or grace to skate while taking pictures or videos with my phone).



0 comments:

Post a Comment